What is an Optical Mouse? An optical mouse is a type of computer mouse that measures the movement of the user’s hand by sensing light. It eliminates the need for an additional sensor, which makes it much cheaper than a laser mouse. A standard computer mouse has one or more buttons, a scroll wheel, and one or more additional sensors to help track its location on the desk. However, some users find navigating with these devices difficult as they require precision movements and hand-eye coordination to use them effectively. An optical mouse has no moving parts, so it’s silent in operation and requires less maintenance than a mechanical mouse. Let’s take a look at how it works!
What Is An Optical Mouse?
An optical mouse is a computer mouse that uses an optical sensor to track the movement of a hand. A typical mouse uses a mechanical system, usually a ball-and-wheel mechanism, to detect motion relative to a surface. Optical mice use an infrared LED (light-emitting diode) and digital signal processing (DSP) to track movement without contacting the surface. Movement is detected by sensing changes in reflected light, rather than by interpreting the motion of a rolling sphere. This is useful for gaming where the mouse might be moved rapidly or across a slippery surface.
There are two types of optical mouse – reflective and infrared. The reflective mouse uses an LED light source and a special coating on the top of the mouse to redirect the light at the surface and make the device more sensitive. An infrared mouse has an LED that emits infrared light, which is not visible to the human eye. A photodetector senses the light reflected from the surface. The LED on an infrared mouse does not need to be visible; it can be placed under the body of the mouse to make it more ergonomic by lifting the nose of the mouse slightly off the surface.
How does it Work?
An optical mouse works by projecting a red light and sensors that can see the light and detect movement. When the light is detected, the sensor sends a signal to the computer to move the cursor on the screen. When the light source moves, the sensors detect the change in light path, which indicates movement. This is much more accurate than the method used by a mechanical mouse, which relies on a rolling ball in order to move and can result in the cursor moving in unexpected ways.
Optical mouse are, therefore, ideal for gamers, who often have erratic hand movements. The sensor behind it, is an LED (infrared). The infrared sensor works better in low-light settings. It is also more secure than a laser sensor. A laser can be picked up by other devices and hacked into. An infrared sensor, however, can only be picked up by those with the correct technological equipment.
Optical Mouse Advantages
- No moving parts. An optical mouse has no moving parts, so it’s silent in operation and requires less maintenance than a mechanical mouse.
- Better precision. Optical mice work by sending light from the surface under the mouse to sensors at the front of the device. This makes them highly accurate and resistant to shifting.
- Excellent ergonomics. Infrared sensors can be located under the device and lifted slightly off the surface. This creates a comfortable experience as the user doesn’t have to grip tightly or press down on the mouse. – Better in low-light
- Unlike mechanical mice, an optical mouse works in low-light settings and can be used on uneven surfaces. It is also more secure since it can’t be broken by liquids or food.
- No friction. An optical mouse doesn’t require a surface with lots of friction. It can be used on most surfaces with ease.
Optical Mouse Disadvantages
- It may not work with certain surfaces. This is more common with infrared sensors since they are more sensitive to light.
- The optical mouse uses the different surface images to adjust the cursor on your screen; however, surfaces that are shiny or are made of glass mirror and reflect the laser picture back to the picture reader software.
- One area that the optical mouse suffers is in energy use. Since friction and the movement of a tracking ball are used for a mechanical mouse, the energy required for its use is significantly lower than the optimal mouse.
An optical mouse is a type of computer mouse that measures the movement of the user’s hand by sensing light. It eliminates the need for an additional sensor, which makes it much cheaper than a laser mouse. A mechanical mouse has one or more buttons, a scroll wheel, and one or more additional sensors to help track its location on the desk. However, some users find navigating with these devices complicated as they require precision movements and hand-eye coordination to use them effectively. It has no moving parts, so it’s silent in operation and requires less maintenance than a mechanical mouse. With its wide range of advantages, an optical mouse is a great option for everyday use, gaming, or working on computers at home or in the office.
P.S if you’re into gaming, kindly check our shop to perfect your gear.