Mechanical keyboards are not the same as your typical, run of the mill plastic membrane keyboards that we all get used to. Instead, they are a special kind of keyboard that has much more stiff and little moving parts inside.
As such, these keyboards tend to be more expensive, but their performance is significantly better in comparison. Whaaat? You might be thinking…Why would anyone want a mechanical keyboard when there are so many cheap membrane keyboards available in the market? Well, if you’re a gamer or someone who spends a lot of time typing on your computer every day, then you will love this post. Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about mechanical keyboards and why they’re worth buying!
What Is A Mechanical Keyboard?
A mechanical keyboard is a special type of keyboard that is built using a mechanical switch of some sort. A mechanical keyboard is a computer keyboard that uses spring-activated switches. Unlike modern laptops or PCs with rubber membrane keyboards, mechanical keyboards employ discrete parts that can be customized in any way imaginable.
However, the most common switch found in modern mechanical keyboards is the Cherry MX switch. The Cherry MX switch is a type of electro-mechanical switch that was patented by the Swiss company, Cherry, in the 1980s. There are several types of Cherry MX switches. Each type has its own unique characteristics. They are available in various colors as well. So, if you are looking for a mechanical keyboard, you can choose one that has the Cherry MX switch type that best suits your needs.
Every keyboard is mechanical, correct? What makes a mechanical keyboard unique is the spring-activated switch. A switch is a part of a keyboard that connects the key you press to the circuit board, which converts your key presses into digital signals. Mechanical keyboards rely on switches to produce sounds and textures, and without them, the keyboard would be useless.
How Do Mechanical Keyboards Differ From Normal Keyboards?
If you are well-versed in the workings of a computer keyboard, you already know that pressing a key on your keyboard causes a rubber dome to collapse. This, in turn, connects two electrical circuits together, one to power the computer and another that sends the signal to the computer that you pressed the key. This is how a computer keyboard works.
The rubber dome on a typical keyboard is what gives the user tactile feedback while typing, so they know they’ve successfully pressed the key. The problem with this mechanism is that it wears out over time. Eventually, the rubber dome will break down due to consistent usage.
A mechanical keyboard fixes this problem by using springs, metal contacts, or capacitive sensors in place of the rubber dome. This allows the keyboard to be more durable, consistent, and reliable. And it also allows the key travel to be more consistent, which helps to eliminate typos.
What Are The Benefits Of A Mechanical Keyboard?
– They Are Extremely Durable: Regular keyboards break down after a few months of use thanks to the rubber dome that wears out. Mechanical keyboards, on the other hand, are built to last. They use sturdy materials that can withstand constant use for years on end.
– They Are More Consistent: The spring mechanism on a mechanical keyboard provides a more consistent key travel than a rubber dome keyboard. This makes it easier to type accurately because there won’t be any “sponginess” in the keys when they are pressed.
– They Offer More Customization Options: Although the rubber dome keyboard is very common, it doesn’t offer the same level of customization that a mechanical keyboard does. With a mechanical keyboard, you can choose the switch type, the color, and even the layout of the keyboard.
Different Types of Mechanical Keyboards
There are several types of mechanical keyboards available on the market today. The type of keyboard you get will depend on your needs as a user. Some common types of mechanical keyboards include:
– The Tenkeyless (TKL): A tenkeyless keyboard is one that doesn’t have a number pad, which makes it smaller in size. It is a type of keyboard that is best suited for gaming since it frees up more space on the desk.
– The Standard Full-Size: A full-size keyboard has the standard QWERTY layout and is best suited for typing.
– The Compact Full-Size: A compact full-size keyboard is a full-size keyboard that is smaller. It is compact in size and features a shorter key travel distance.
– The Ergonomic Keyboard: An ergonomic keyboard is one that is curved on both the left and right sides. This design helps to alleviate wrist pain while you are typing.
Is It Worth Spending More Money On A Mechanical Keyboard?
Yes. The only downside to a mechanical keyboard is that it is more expensive than the average rubber dome keyboard. However, the performance benefits of a mechanical keyboard make it worth spending a little extra. If you are a gamer, then a mechanical keyboard is a must-have.
You spend a lot of time typing as well, so there is no harm in spending a bit extra. If you are planning on getting a mechanical keyboard, you should keep in mind that the price can vary considerably. Some mechanical keyboards are available for less than $100, while others can cost well over $300. The price difference is due to several factors, such as the type of switches used (more expensive keyboards often have more expensive switches), the build quality, and the addition of extra features.
Are There Any Disadvantages Of A Mechanical Keyboard?
The only major drawback of a mechanical keyboard is the cost. If you are a casual user, then a mechanical keyboard might not be worth the extra money. However, if you are a gamer who spends a lot of time typing, then a mechanical keyboard is a must-have.
Another thing to keep in mind is that mechanical keyboards require more cleaning than your average keyboard. It’s important to clean the keyboard regularly to avoid any buildups of dust and dirt. Furthermore, you should keep in mind is that not every switch type is perfect for every typist. For example, if you type slowly, then you will probably not be suited for a Cherry MX Blue switch. Instead, you should either go for a Cherry MX Brown switch or a Cherry MX Red switch, which are better suited for typing.
Mechanical keyboards are a special type of keyboard that is built using a mechanical switch of some sort. They are more expensive than regular rubber dome keyboards, but they are built to last longer and perform better. If you are a gamer or someone who spends a lot of time typing on your computer every day, then you will love this post.
P.S: Need accessories to enchanted your gaming setup? Feel free to check our Catalog.